Lana has never been afraid of a challenge.
It was therefore no surprise when she decided to join Lightfoot in 1999—a firm known for taking on the most challenging, high-stakes cases.
Lana has tried cases in both state and federal courts. She has experience in jury trials, bench trials, class certification hearings, Frye/Daubert hearings and has taken hundreds of depositions over the course of her career. With clients located all over the country, and ranging from large chemical companies to small businesses, Lana has practiced in a variety of jurisdictions, including Alabama, Mississippi, Kentucky, Ohio, Louisiana, Florida, Texas, Pennsylvania, Michigan and New Jersey.
In addition to her normal litigation practice, Lana serves as Assistant General Counsel to a leading heavy truck component manufacturer/distributor. In this role, she manages all facets of the company’s legal and compliance matters, from day-to-day consultation to the most complex and significant pieces of litigation.
I. Representative Matters:
- Defending numerous class action, mass joinder and multi-plaintiff lawsuits in which the plaintiffs claimed personal injuries and property damage as the result of alleged exposure to various wood-treating chemicals, including creosote, pentachlorophenol and arsenic (e.g, Avance v. Kerr-McGee (E.D. Texas); Andrews v. Kerr-McGee (N.D. Miss); Batcheldor v. Kerr-McGee (N.D. Miss).
- Representing major oil companies in underground storage tank ("UST") fund cases in Alabama.
- Defending a Fortune 500 company against claims of personal injury allegedly caused by exposure to formaldehyde.
- Advising a railcar manufacturer on business and litigation issues.
- Defending the largest manufacturer/lessor of rental trailers in the US in personal injury/product liability litigation throughout the Southeast.
- Defending a natural gas marketing company in a fraud, breach of contract and RICO case where the alleged damages were in excess of $100 million.
- Defending a Fortune 100 company in a class action lawsuit and individual cases alleging personal injuries and property damage resulting from a train derailment.
- Defending a food manufacturing company in state and federal lawsuits in which the plaintiffs alleged that odor nuisances affected their property values.
- Defending uniform supply company in class action lawsuit for fraud and breach of contract.
- Defending Fortune 500 company against class action claims involving alleged improper sales tax charges.
II. Honors and Community Involvement:
- Co-authored a chapter in DRI's The Guide – A Young Lawyer’s Guide to Defense Practice (2015)
- Recognized by the 2011-2014 editions of Best Lawyers in America
- Recognized by the 2014 edition of Super Lawyers for Environmental Law
- Chair of the DRI Women in the Law Committee (2013-2015)
- Chair of the DRI Toxic Tort and Environmental Law Seminar (2014)
- Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America (“LCA”)
- International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC), Member
- Chair of the 2011 DRI "Sharing Success" Women's Seminar
- Member of the Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel
- Member (2005 to 2012) and Past President (2009-2011) of the Board of Directors for Alabama Court Appointed Special Advocates (“CASA”), an organization that develops and supports volunteer representation for abused, neglected and abandoned children in court proceedings in Alabama. Lana has been involved with CASA since college and continues to find great reward in helping children in need.
Lana received a Bachelors degree in Public Relations/Communications from Florida State University in 1995. She graduated cum laude from the Cumberland School of Law in 1998 and was a member of both the national moot court and trial teams. Before joining Lightfoot, Lana served as a law clerk to the Honorable Sam c. Pointer, Jr., the former Chief Judge of the Northern District of Alabama.
When she’s not being a lawyer, Lana enjoys being a mother to her vivacious four year-old daughter, Maggie (who is a blonde, and not a redhead), and her rescue dog Saban (St. Bernard)
See a list of Lana's speaking engagements.